Are Your Teeth Sensitive? Here’s Why!
Does the thought of eating ice cream cause you anxiety? Tired of experiencing pain when you try to eat? Teeth sensitivity is an extremely common problem; in fact, over 40,000,000 Americans are currently suffering. But why exactly is tooth sensitivity so common? There are some lifestyle and even dietary choices that can have a big impact! If you experience tooth sensitivity, we recommend contacting our West Hill dental office immediately. We can take a look at your teeth and gums and assess your overall oral health.
Causes of Sensitive Teeth
Millions of Americans suffering from sensitive teeth are doing so for no reason, many causes of tooth sensitivity can be avoided. The most common causes of teeth sensitivity include:
- Using a hard bristled toothbrush
- Brushing too hard
- Worn tooth enamel
- Tooth erosion caused by acidic beverages/foods
- Tooth decay due to improper dental hygiene
- Receding gums
- Teeth grinding
- Over-the-counter teeth whitening products
Tips for Avoiding Tooth Sensitivity
When it comes to sensitive teeth, the discomfort can range from mild to severe. To try and avoid tooth sensitivity and dental damage, follow these helpful tips:
- Practice proper dental hygiene (brush, floss, and mouthwash).
- Avoid any tobacco products.
- Do NOT brush aggressively/hard.
- Only use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- If you experience grinding/clenching, ask us about our custom mouthguards.
- Eat a healthy diet, with fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid packaged and highly processed foods filled with starches and sugars.
- If you want whiter teeth, consider professional treatments since over-the-counter products contain chemicals which cause gum and tooth sensitivity.
You don’t have to suffer from tooth sensitivity! Contact West Hills Smiles today to schedule your appointment. We would be happy to evaluate your oral health to determine which treatments may help reduce the discomfort and symptoms that typically accompany tooth sensitivity.