Tooth extraction is a common dental treatment that involves removing a tooth from the mouth. There can be many reasons that your dental surgeon might have to resort to this option. Some of the reasons are:
- gum disease
- tooth infection
- crowded teeth
Recovery after a tooth extraction takes a few days. Proper aftercare can help minimize discomfort and risks of infection.
Most important thing is to take care of the blood clot that formed at the socket from where the tooth is removed. If the blood clot is dislodged, it may lead to a painful condition called dry socket.
- Once you reach home, take the prescribed painkillers.
- After tooth extraction, the dentist places a gauze at the extraction site. Gently bite onto it, and leave it there for at least three to four hours.
- The best way to avoid swelling is to apply ice to the extraction site. Avoid applying ice for more than 10 minutes during each interval.
- Relax and stay in bed. Avoid doing any strenuous activities for the next two days.
- Don’t spit or rinse forcefully for the next 24 hours after the procedure.
- Don’t use a straw for drinking for at least 24 hours.
- Smoking can delay the healing process, so it’s best to avoid smoking.
- After 24 hours, make a mixture of half a teaspoon of salt in warm water and use it to rinse your mouth.
- When you lay down to rest, prop your head up using pillows.
- After 24 hours, continue with usual dental care, but take extra care of the extraction site when brushing or flossing.
- Eat soft foods such as yogurt, banana, and pudding. Gradually start adding solids to your diet and eating them from the extraction site.
In case of severe bleeding, pain, or any other adverse effects, immediately go to an emergency dentist.
Home Remedies to Relieve Pain
It’s very common to experience some pain and swelling after an extraction procedure. There are a few remedies that can help.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like naproxen and ibuprofen can help with the pain and swelling.
- Make an ice pack, and press it gently to the affected area regularly.
- Warm salt water can also relieve some pain. Make sure you do it 24 hours after the procedure.
Regular dental checkups help in the early detection of dental problems. West Hills Smiles offers the best general dentistry services in West Hills, CA. We also offer cosmetic dental services like Invisalign, professional teeth whitening, and dental implants.
For more information, visit our website.